Monday 9 August 2010

Pick of the Week

FEMALE PRISONER
#701: SCORPION
Joshuu 701-gô: Sasori (Japanese Title)
1972

This film is probably one of my favourite Asian cinema movies. I was first introduced to the name Meiko Kaji after purchasing the Kill Bill Vol 1 Soundtrack. The song Shura No Hana which is played during the death of Oren is performed by Meiko for the Lady Snowblood movie in 1973. I was instantly attracted to this song and went to find out that
else Meiko had been involved in. I added the Lady Snowblood movies to my wish list on Amazon and Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion and it's sequels were added to my recommendations as a result. I decided after watching the trailer that I was desperate to watch the film and eventually got bought it as a gift from my other half. We watched the first film the day they arrived and instantly we were hooked.

Nami Matsushima (aka Matsu the Scorpion) (Meiko Kaji) is set up by her lover Sugimi who is a crooked detective. The Yakuza in which he encouraged her in infiltrate brutalise and rape her. After a filed attempt to stab Sugimi, she ends up doing hard time in a prison that is run by sadistic brutal guards. While Matsu is in prison, Sugimi and the Japanese Mafia orchestrate a plan to have her accidentally
die. Little to the assassin inmate know, Matsu desires escape and revenge on Sugimi and all those who associated with her brutalisation.

Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion is probably may favourite in the trilogy.
Female Prisoner # 701: Scorion
Female Convict Scorpion: Jailhouse 41

Female Prisoner #701 Scorpion: Beast Stable
Box set available here on Amazon 
I is so clear how a film of this nature directly contributed towards the inspiration of Kill Bill. It's female empowerment. It's gritty and it's such an underrated classic. I think everyone should see this film. She is a woman who refuses to give up and is an inspiration to all. Even after being tied up and beaten by her fellow inmates, being tied, made to sleep on the floor and having hot food poured onto her and being made to all walk naked over poles and up and down clear stairs with the horny guards watching, she still manages to always have one over on them all. Matsu is fantastic and I hope that one day, the movie industry manages to produce something as good as this again someday soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment