Friday 6 August 2010

The Last Airbullshit

Movie adaptations are fantastic. If there's a novel you have a connection to or a TV show you love that's being converted to the silver screen, you just fill up with excitement. Sometimes, you can worry that it wont translate very well. But when the result is amazing like Watchmen or Twilight, it becomes very popular. But then there are the bad instances.
When I started watching Avatar: The Legend of Aang, I was almost embarrassed to be watching a kids TV show on Nickelodeon. But by the end of season one I was hooked. I eventually bought all three seasons on DVD and I can say that's it's my all time favourite animated TV. I actually like it more now then I liked Pokemon in school.

Last year I heard about a movie adaptation of the show I hold so dear. Every time a new piece of information cropped up about the project, I happily bored my friends with it. M Night Shyamalan directing was my first worry. I wasn't sure if I wanted the director of classics like The Sixth Sense making Avatar into his debut action/children's movie. Then he retitled it The Last Airbender after the American title to stop confusion with James Cameron' Avatar Project.

Then there was the casting. Something that has caused outrage among fans and none-fans alike. What has now been referred to as racebending. Casting Caucasians in the Asians hero roles and Asians in the Caucasian villain roles. It's not just about race. I wouldn't mind a black spiderman for example. But this is a show that is routed in eastern cultures and beliefs. It just doesn't make sense. The director is Asian for goodness sake.

I overlooked my reservations and decided to watch the movie. Oh My God! It's the worst film I have EVER seen. The acting, the story (which was handed to him on a silver platter via the series) the casting, the 3D effects. Everything. Appalling. How can anyone watch this or even film this and think "we're on to a winner here."

Mortal Kombat: Annihalation was bad as far as movies go. But at least it appealed to fans and took on board what was so attractive about the video game franchise on which it was based. It's like the director hasn't even seen the series. It's about culture and destiny. Not fighting and special effects. I was put off when I read an interview with M Night Shyamalan in Total Film saying "I've always wanted to do a kung fu movie..." I thought "well this isn't a kung fu series". There si a scene near the start of the film in which we see the back of Zukos head and he says his line but it's so clearly dubbed. I mean, you can see his motionless cheek. As far as a one off mistake goes, that's pretty back, but the film is riddled with mistakes and plot holes and continuity errors. It makes me sick that M Night is still allowed to work.
Please, please, please forget this film exists. Just watch the series. And when you've finished it. Just remember that Avatar: The Legend of Korra, a spin off, one off, mini series set 70 years in the future as been announced for 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment