Friday 13 August 2010

Review of a movie poster!

This isn't a new poster. It's just one of my favourites. It's infact the one I have framed on the wall in my house. It might be sad, but to me, posters are just as important as trailers, plus, the good ones, like Scarface or Resevoir Dogs become immortalised. This is Grindhouse.


This is just a fantastic poster. When if first saw the trailer for this double feature, I was in ore. I couldn't believe that two off my all time favourite directors had come together and made two films that were going to link together and show back to back with bookend fake grindhouse trailers. I was so excited. I'm such a huge fan of Rose McGowan and she just looked fantastic. Then, unfortunately it didn't show near me and hardly did anywere in the UK. When it was finally released on DVD, it was as two seperate films. I have them both (obviously) and have watched them back to back on more the one occasion, but it's not the same. A blu ray full feature release is due very soon to which I am very excited.

Dragstrip Girl & Rock All Night Poster
According to Wikipedia Quentin and Robert apparently often used to ahve screanings of back to back films in there houses.During one screening in 2003, Rodriguez noticed that he owned the same double feature movie poster as Tarantino for the 1957 films Dragstrip Girl and Rock All Night Rodriguez asked Tarantino, "I always wanted to do a double feature. Hey, why don't you direct one and I'll do the other?" Tarantino replied, "And we've got to call it Grindhouse!"

Grindhouse is a term used for all the old theatures that used to show exploitation genres, often abck to back.

I just think the poster for Grinshouse is amazing. It's taken all the best parts of the old posters and made up bang up to date. I had a friend ask "why go back. Why not make a modern film." He just didn't undersatnd. This is about showing a new generation what was so great in the past that made movies what they are today. Without these films that made people love teh movies with a passion, todays movies would all be fluff. This posters reminds me of why I love films. Thanks you Quentin and Robert. I'll be looking out for a Dragstrip Girl & Rock All Night Poster too. I'm waiting for Grindhouse 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment